Thursday, April 22, 2010

Rice Pudding

So today being my dad's birthday and since he didn't want me to make dinner (because Mary is) I decided to make a dessert, ever since I was little I've always remembered him liking Rice Pudding, so here it is Almond-Vanilla Rice Pudding:
When I was at Safeway the only vanilla beans they had were 13 bucks, so I opted out... then when I got home, the awesome roommate told me she had a ton of them in the kitchen, SCORE!



I had to buy some rice and almond flavoring as well:



Added a ton of milk, I opted to double the recipe...I don't advise it...I'm pretty sure it screws up the measurements because I had waaaaaay too much milk...(oh and the bay leaves are awesome!):



Then there was a little accident...no pictures for this, but I turned around to throw away the vanilla bean...and then SPLASH...HISS...BURN...the milk went crazy people, boiling over and smoking oy vey! Anyway, moved burners turned the heat down and added a little more milk (not knowing I had too much) and proceeded to cook...30 minutes later and there was still waaaaaay too much milk so I ladled out the rice that was cooked, then added another 3/4 cup to the existing warm milk and voila! Perfection!

(I also added a bit of nutmeg, because hey, who doesn't like nutmeg!?):


HERE'S THE RECIPE

3 comments:

  1. It sure looks good, how did it taste??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was super good! I was very surprised :) It was rich though...couldn't eat too much but yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, YUM! I've always wanted to attempt both rice pudding, and bread pudding. But I never have. I really should sometime!

    You're making a pregnant woman hungry. Very dangerous. ;)
    -Megan

    ReplyDelete